2.0.1 (December 31, 2019): Quick fix to allow access to up to 20 folders at the main menu. Also I forgot that the program crashes if any of the folder names have a space in them. Really need to take care of this but none of the obvious solutions seem to be working. Should be my next priority.
2.0.0 (December 30, 2019): A major release that necessitates bullet points!
1.9.3 (April 10, 2019): Bug fixes: resizing the window no longer makes the program use all of the ram. An unneeded bookmark file will no longer be generated in the main directory. The main menu key is now correctly listed as
- UI changes:
- The program now uses a font available on Windows computers by default, Consolas Bold. This is a personal preference, because I've decided I like it better than DejaVu in general, but the old font will still be included as a backup or if you prefer to use that one.
- The alt text will now automatically be shown on a black background with no gaps. This deprecates the "background" feature previously assigned to
- The interface is now much snappier. Any request for input that only requires one keystroke no longer requires pressing enter afterwards.
- A faux cursor is drawn on the screen to help draw the user's eye to the fact that the program is requesting input.
- Trimmed some spaces and extra characters where unnecessary, added a 1 column margin to the left side of the screen for a cleaner look in windowed mode.
B will now bring up the Bookmarks menu. (see new features below)
P will now take you to the Program settings menu, which will let you adjust the PgUp/PgDn keys as before in addition to seven new options (see new features below)
- New features:
- In addition to the bookmark that auto-saves when browsing, each folder can now have up to 11 additional bookmarks.
F10 keys will save a bookmark for the image you're currently viewing, prompting you to overwrite the existing bookmark (if one exists) and type a name.
- The number keys
0 will load the corresponding bookmark and briefly show the name of the bookmark at the bottom of the screen.
- The aforementioned bookmarks menu will allow you to see all of your saved bookmarks for that folder. You can jump to a bookmark from this menu and have the option to clear them.
- One additional bookmark can be saved to a quick slot by pressing
F11 or loaded by pressing
- You can now press
D to toggle the Display of icons
- You can now press
Space to instantly scroll to the top of the image
- You can now press
Backspace to return to the image you were just looking at (useful if you have a bookmark you want to repeatedly reference)
- There is now a program settings menu, where you can adjust the PgUp/PgDn keys (as before) as well as 7 new options:
- You can adjust the scroll speed of the arrow keys, from 1-10 lines (default 2)
- You can adjust the margin displayed at the top of the screen, from 1-10 lines (default 2)
- You can choose whether the icons for scrolling, annotations and information are displayed onscreen (this can also be toggled during browsing with the
- You can disable the prompt asking if you want to set a folder as the default when you load it
- You can enable a lefty mode which allows you to scroll and navigate with the
D keys (and moves the functions previously on those keys to the arrows)
- You can revert to the old DejaVu Sans Mono font
- You can enable an editing mode, unlocking functions previously available by default (to prevent accidentally deleting or overwriting alt text)
- Bugfix: the contents of the window are no longer destroyed whenever the window loses focus.
- Made a few changes to ancillary files: the main menu no longer shows the source folder as a possible image folder. Included a version of this page instead of the standard readme file. The bookmark and file list are now .dat instead of .txt to discourage manipulation outside the program (which can cause errors). Moved the dv.ttf font file to the source folder. The examples folder now includes a few actual comics instead of generic images. Updated the license file to reflect the creative commons license for the included comics.
Esc on the help screen. Help screen will now break into 2 pages if the window is too small for everything. Various optimizations.
PgDn keys now scroll a user-definable amount. The default is 100% of the screen height, and it can be changed to any value from 10-100% by pressing
P. The program now generates an options.txt file in the main program directory, which right now contains only the single value for this feature, but I plan to add more options in the future.
Setbacks: I had planned on getting the window to properly adjust itself when the user resizes with the mouse, but unfortunately I've run into some real strange issues with the _RESIZE function. I'm going to keep trying to figure out a solution, but for now, I've disabled the mouse resize altogether, because it was pretty useless. Also, some of the optimizations broke some stuff with the alt text. It's not a big deal but when the image scrolls it'll cover the alt text unless it's in "always display" mode. I'm planning to redesign the text subroutine so hopefully that'll be in the next release.
That's about it! Big thanks to spriteclad for feedback and bug reports for this one.
1.9.2 (March 5, 2019): Added the
B command, added the help screen, added this changelog. Moved project off github, included the source code in the program archive file, changed license to the unlicense. Added support for multi-line annotations, but this can be difficult to read against the comic background. If a comic's annotations take up multiple lines, it's recommended to use the
B command to view them fullscreen against a solid black background.